Friday, June 12, 2009

Food Waste Friday

Since deciding to make an attempt at frugality, I have been following some blogs on the topic. One that is very interesting belongs to Kristen, The Frugal Girl. Each week, Kristen posts her weekly food waste, with the goal being no waste. I am jumping on the bandwagon, so here is my weekly food waste.


I have to warn you, this is my first week, and it is quite frightening. You don't realize how much you waste until you actually document it.



Pictured is:

- a handful of baby carrots
- 1/2 bag of Dole Salad Mix
- 1 bag of green beans
- 1 lemon
- most of a tomato
- 1 cucumber
- a loaf of whole wheat cinnamon bread
- 4 hot dog rolls
- a bag of frozen cherry tomatoes

Not pictured, but also wasted this week are:
- 1/2 can of tuna
- 1/2 bag of Tortilla chips

As bad as all this is, I was, however, able to save:
- 2 very very ripe bananas (which became banana bread)
- a bunch of stale club cracker (which I used in meatloaf)

Overall, a very poor showing. The bright side is, it can only get better from here!


No comments:

Post a Comment