Thursday, June 18, 2009

Food Waste - 6/18

Food waste this week is quite an improvement over last week. And everything pre-dates my menu planning, so I don't feel too badly.


Our waste for the week is:
- about 2 cups of milk
- 4 or 5 slices of ham
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- about 1/4 cup of chocolate frosting left over from a batch of brownies

I am struggling with the milk issue. We are not a family of milk drinkers. Somehow, a quart is never enough, but 1/2 gallon is too much. I need to figure out some uses for the extra cup or 2 of milk we have each week.

4 comments:

  1. You are off to a good start! Milk and chocolate are 2 things we never waste at our house! I use milk in muffins, smoothies, and scrambled eggs. And the extra frosting would have been spread between 2 graham crackers- yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can freeze milk, just pour out those two cups into a jar or plastic container, leaving enough space for expansion. I freeze milk all the time! But do it right away, rather than waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could also just split the milk in half right when you buy it, and keep half in the coldest part of your fridge. If you don't open it until later, you should be able to extend the expire date by several days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog...I'm really enjoying it so far! I love pudding as a quick desert option or as a snack with some fruit on top, but find the pre-packaged versions to expensive. I, like you, never seem to drink as much milk as I buy before it goes bad. My solution is instant pudding. One small box (4 1/2 servings) requires 2 cups of milk. I find this as a great way to use up milk and make desert really fast. Another tbought: have you tried buying organic milk? Its more expensive, but it lasts so much longer! I bought a half gallon 2 weeks ago, and it doesn't expire until the middle of July. I find the up-front expense to be a much better option than pouring milk down the drain every time it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete